Search This Blog

Hewlett-Packard Says CEO, Mark Hurd, Is Stepping Down Following A Sexual-Harassment Investigation

Years ago, when I was working on my doctorate, I gave my first paid speech on body language and gender differences. I realized that with all the women entering the workforce in equal positions with men there would be more sexual-harassment problems and began doing research on what would be my initial doctoral dissertation topic, "Romantic Relationships In The Work Place." I also started getting requests to do communication programs on preventing sexual-harassment issues.
When I see news items about sexual-harassment, I read them with great interest. Here is a story that I wish I had some video on to analyze the body language.

HP’s CEO Hurd quits after sexual-harassment probe
Executive filed false expense reports to cover up
HP CEO steps down. Justin Sullivan
Hewlett-Packard says CEO Mark Hurd is stepping down following a sexual-harassment probe.msnbc.com news services
updated 4 minutes ago
Share Print Font: +-PALO ALTO, Calif. — Hewlett-Packard Co. Chairman and CEO Mark Hurd has resigned after a sexual-harassment probe that found he violated company standards, the computer maker said Friday.

The investigation found that although there was no violation of HP's sexual harassment policy Hurd, 53, filed erroneous expense reports to cover up his "close personal relationship" with a marketing consultant hired by his office, HP general counsel Michael Holston said.

The investigation also found there were "numerous instances where the contractor received compensation and/or expense reimbursement where there was not a legitimate business purpose," Holston said in a conference call with analysts. He said the behavior reflected a "profound lack of judgment."

As a result Hurd, who is married, has stepped down from all his positions at the company, effective immediately, according to a news release issued after the stock market closed Friday.

"As the investigation progressed, I realized there were instances in which I did not live up to the standards and principles of trust, respect and integrity that I have espoused at HP and which have guided me throughout my career," Hurd said in a statement.

"This is a painful decision for me to make after five years at HP, but I believe it would be difficult for me to continue as an effective leader at HP and I believe this is the only decision the board and I could make at this time," he said.

Hurd and Robert Ryan, HP's lead independent board member, stressed that Hurd's departure has nothing to do with the company's financial health.

Patti Wood, MA, Certified Speaking Professional - The Body Language Expert. For more body language insights go to her website at http://PattiWood.net. Also check out the body language quiz on her YouTube Channel at http://youtube.com/user/bodylanguageexpert.