2. Pants: Ankles are this season's bare-skin. Store any pants that don’t match this seasons. Pick up a magazine. Skinny pants, lots of ankle, gauchos that look good on only a few women.
3. Skirts: Classic cuts, short, but not too short. If it is age appropriate you can try a fitted skirt with a small flounce. They are very in. Make sure you pair it with a fitted top.
4. Tops: While jackets and blazers that don’t look dowdy are sometimes hard to find they can give you a crisp pulled together look. You can wear a short jacket with the new style of long blouse if you wear it with narrow pants. You can also wear a jacket with a shorter fitted skirt.
5. Dresses: Still very on trend. Some of the new dresses have a skirt that swishes slightly rather than pencil thin all the way down.
6. Colors: black, bluish or brownish red, sage to sage tinges gray, pink (not fuchsia not pale), teal, and orchid purple are the front-runner colors of this season's pallet. Black and white block patterns on fabric, are popular.
7. Legs with attitude. Hose with pattern. Subtle not fishnets!
The Body Language Expert
I have a new quiz on my YouTube station. Check it out!
Of course, we're not implying you should show up at the office tomorrow in a white coat with a name tag that says "doctor, not artist." But it's worth thinking about what symbolizes smart and effective in your own office.
This one is directed at those who are wearing jeans and sneakers in a mostly slacks and oxfords office — meaning, those who tend to dress more casually than others. Even if you're not violating a dress code, some evidence says dressing "properly" has an impact on how you see your own skill set.
Patti Wood, MA, Certified Speaking Professional - The Body Language Expert. For more body language insights go to her website at www.PattiWood.net. Check out Patti's website for her new book "SNAP, Making the Most of First Impressions, Body Language and Charisma" at www.snapfirstimpressions.com. Also check out Patti's YouTube channel at http://youtube.com/user/bodylanguageexpert.