Search This Blog

How to Improve Your Ability to Read Body Language by Body Language Expert Patti Wood

Rough notes sent to Forbes Magazine in response to a request for an article on body language. 

In the "Show" don't, "Tell" formula of good writing, authors use body language cues to describe and define characters, indicate shifts and changes in mood, and the effects of others' actions and dialogue on characters. I recommend as you read, you highlight these sections as well as how the author introduces each new character, as it is often with a few body language cues and or appearance description

 Recent research has shown that reading fiction improves empathy. I recommend reading fiction to be aware of someone's emotional state and body language and be aware of how you appear to others.

I assign novels to my coaching clients. It's especially beneficial to my clients at high levels in their organization as they may find their employees don't always share their vulnerabilities and true feelings. It is also helpful for my clients who come to be because they can't seem to read other people and wonder why they are ostracized, have frequented conflicts with others, and or have been betrayed by a toxic person.

 I have been analyzing the body language of big wigs and suspected criminals for years, and the more you watch, the more you learn. Watch long media interviews of corporate big wigs like they do on 60 minutes and take notes on what they do well and poorly. In addition, I recommend going to YouTube and watching the James Lipton interviews of movie stars on The Actors studio.

And seeing how James Lipton listens and responds as the interviewer and how stars behave as they self-disclose, I give them links to some of the interviews of people like Bill Gates and Elizabeth Homes and have them take notes and then give them my notes/

Finally, I am working on a book on body language in film as I recommend you watch movies to improve your ability to read body language. I a give out a list of movies to watch to learn certain concepts like the Maltese Falcon and Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder and Strangers on a Train for understanding space and territory cues, power cues and deception detection and the father-son scene in Jaws to learn about Matching and Mirroring,

 

 


Patti Wood, MA - The Body Language Expert. For more body language insights go to her website at www.PattiWood.net. Check out Patti's website for her new book "SNAP, Making the Most of First Impressions, Body Language and Charisma" at www.snapfirstimpressions.com.